Friday, April 1, 2016

Color Play Friday - Rose Petals


Happy April Fool's Color Play Friday!! 
This is one of my favorite days because it is my oldest daughters birthday.  I started quilting when she was born.  I was fortunate to be able to work part time so my mom was taught me how to quilt.  I joined her quilt group and took some classes from Roxanne Carter who to this day is still one of my favorite teachers.  That was 22 years ago today.  Who would have thought that all that would have brought me here today.

If you've been following along you might have noticed we've had a lot of pink to purple pictures lately. These are some of my favorite colors to work with.  When I first started quilting purple and green was in every one of my quilts.  I'm glad to say I have expanded my choices in colors these days.  I try to embrace every color and occasionally I even get out of my traditional box of color choices and try to use some colors that I shy away from,

Some people choose to just not work with certain colors.  I have heard more than once "I don't use that color".  While that is a personal choice I feel it is good to try new things including new colors in fabrics.  I have seen several techniques people use to make them go outside of their color box.  Some people will ease in to a new color slowly by trying small bits.  Some go bold and just do a whole quilt or project in a color they once would not touch.

One of my favorites was a customer who asked if a family member or friend come in to buy for her she wanted them to select a yard of fabric they liked so she would have to work within their favorite fabric.  This way she could work with a new palette while creating something for someone else that she knew they would like.  I might have to try this sometime.

Among other things I use Color Play Friday to broaden my color use horizons.  Each week I'm given a picture at someone else's choice to pick and choose what colors to play with and pair fabrics up with.  I find this challenge fun and appreciate the opportunity to play with fabrics without actually cutting into any.  This way I am never disappointed with that I choose.  I just start with a new slate each week.

So on with the beauty of nature and all the wonderful color it brings with it.




Fabric Selection:
Flow by Zen Chic for Moda
Mendocino by Heather Ross for Windham
Petal & Plume by Bari J for Art Gallery
Flow by Zen Chic for Moda
Simply Colorful by V & Co. for Moda
Chipper by Tula Pink for Westminster



The Nitty Gritty:

If you would like to join all us lovely ladies in Color Play Friday hop on over to Trina at In An Otter Life and Lorinda of Laurel, Poppy and Pine to get the scoop on how to play along. You won’t regret it.

Supporting Cast:

Steph of Shimmy and More
Bethany of Sew-Not-Perfect
Chrissy of Love Hazel Honey
Sarah G of Sarah Goer Quilts
Yvonne from That's Sew Creative
Sarah S from 123 Quilt
Jennifer





2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, Mindy! I love, love your bundle! And you hit the nail on the head as to why CPF is so great. Experimenting with color and fabrics to stretch out of comfort zones, and not having the financial and emotional investment of a actual project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were on the same wavelength this week, we chose one of the same fabrics! The Petal and Plume is gorgeous also, good palette.

    ReplyDelete